18 november 2013

Art I Heart - Matthew Barney

Today I stumbled upon this image in a magazine and I was immediately intrigued. Who is the man in the photo? 

The artist is Matthew Barney who works in sculpture, photography, drawing and film. His early works are sculptural installations combined with performance and video. Between 1994 and 2002 he created the The Cremaster Cycle, a series of five films described in The Guardian as 'one of the most imaginative and brilliant achievements in the history of avant-garde cinema.'The image you see above is a still from The Cremaster Cylce 1 (1994).

"Is Barney's work a new beginning for a new century?", asks Richard Lacayo, writing in Time. "It feels more like a very energetic longing for a beginning, in which all kinds of imagery have been put to the service of one man's intricate fantasy of return to the womb. Something lovely and exasperating is forever in formation there. Will he ever give birth?"

So I searched for an online version of The Cremaster Cycle and it is downloading as we speak! 7 hours of performance art, I hope I am ready.

1 opmerking: